Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

I'm in "Like" with You? - Facebook Enhances the 'Like' Button

Thumbs-up-iconImage via Wikipedia

The days of sharing are over, Malorie Lucich a spokesperson for Facebook told Mashable that they have stopped developing the Share Button and Like is the “recommended solution moving forward.”

After reviewing various comments from different articles on this it seems that many users have the same feeling towards the change as I do, they don't like it and use the two functions differently. I will share articles, videos and other sort of content through the share function when I want my friends to see it, enjoy it, laugh or cry at something I've shared. The Like button however I use more as a support tool, I'll use it to show I "like" a brand, band or other type of link without my friends having to be notified of all my personal pleasures. I don't mind showing some love by "liking" something but I feel I will use like less and less if it means filling up my wall with post my friends don't care about.

Of course Facebook has to continue developing and testing new platforms, Lucich noted, it just seems to me that this change is geared towards the marketers being that "The idea is that improvements to the Like button will increase traffic to company websites, which could be used to drive marketing campaigns."

With creativedepartment.com explaining that 2.5 million sites integrated the Like button upon its initial launch last spring and an additional 350,000 by August it's no wonder there is a push to enhance and build a tool that will drive users to an advertisers website, but at the end of the day I use Facebook for me not for marketers and hope Facebook doesn't turn into a site that forgets about it's users. I already lost the awesome collection of links I had shared prior to the new profile release, but funny thing I didn't lose one link to a company I "liked", and they sure didn't lose me as a supporter....strange...
Enhanced by Zemanta


Information Sourced from:
Mashable
The Creative Department

No comments:

Post a Comment