Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

Are Your Social Media Efforts Impacting Website Traffic?

Google Analytics v2.0Image by vrypan via Flickr
So you decided to jump on the social media bandwagon not long ago by setting up business accounts for all those great sites likes Facebook, Twitter and YouTube  and now you're struggling to show your boss the impact all your efforts have on the overall website traffic.

Google Analytics is showing that traffic is up site wide, which your boss could be raving about but only a few of those referring sites come from your time and effort put into social media, so what's the deal?

A recent study by ForeSee, a market research  firm that conducts consulting and surveys for measuring website satisfaction states that “Less than 1% of website visits, on average, come directly from a social media URL. This finding suggests that the direct impact of social media is minimal, but also that the true value of social media cannot be quantified only by examining the traffic coming directly from a social media URL.”  So the deal is, just because your referring traffic may not be in your favor 18% of website visitors will admit to being influenced by social media, so much like myself maybe I don't need to visit a site at the moment they make a post on Twitter but when I do need them I'll likely use Google or my Google toolbar to get to the company website and I know they exist because of social media, this also helps to explain the increase in traffic to the site I manage, LabWrench.

I've had an opportunity to analyze traffic to LabWrench and where it gets very interesting is the way visitors from social media sites interact on LabWrench, although I value all visitors, those coming from a social media influence spend more time on the site, post or respond to a question, register as a member and/or return to the site, so have my social media efforts impacted organic and direct traffic? I'd say so.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment