Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

ready, willing and able to tackle social media

I will never forget the first time my friend told me about Facebook "it's this website that tells you when people are single and what they're doing" I laughed at the thought of it and responded with "who would want to use a site like that and share such information". I checked it out and fell in love, five years later I have a Facebook, YouTube, Twitter (@PlayneSimple), FourSquare, LinkedIn, and Stumble Upon account to name a few....

I've became slightly obsessed with learning about Social Media, Search Engine Optimization, and Search Engine Marketing. From 2006 - 2009 I was working for a company as a 'brand consultant' so to speak assisting small businesses brand themselves through print and services such as logo, and website design. I presented the idea of having a company twitter account and basically it went unnoticed, luckily I didn't give up and started tweeting on my own.

When I was still very new to Twitter I had left a Direct Message go unnoticed for days, the message was from my current employer who had contacted me to discuss a new website they were launching. To make a slightly long story short I now manage a product-focused social networking site for laboratory professionals (LabWrench) and I'm not looking back. I spend hours listening, learning and getting to know more and more about this wonderful, crazy world of social media.

The goal of my blog is to document and discuss plain and simple social media approaches both from a professional and consumers view point. I hope to inspire companies to engage with their customers through online networking, and encourage more consumers to communicate with vendors in the same way. By no means do I consider myself a 'guru' (yet) ;) but I am ready, willing and able to give you real experiences as I navigate my way through this new found passion of mine.

Cheers,
Melanie Playne
@PlayneSimple

No comments:

Post a Comment